Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mengapa blog ini diwujudkan?<>Why this blog set up? --> Why was this blog created?


This word - 'pemerbadanan' - caught my attention instantly when I was scanning the latest news at Utusan Online. Was this a new word?  Can I find it in the dictionary?  How was this word created? 

I had to use Pusat Rujukan Persuratan Melayu at http://prpm.dbp.gov.my/ to check if this word existed in its database. And this was what I found:

Kata
Takrif
Sumber
pemerbadanan
penubuhan sbg perbadanan.
Kamus Dewan Edisi Empat

When I used Google Translate, I found that  the word 'pemerbadanan' was aligned to the English word 'incorporation'.   I knew the English word, but I had no idea that the Bahasa Melayu equivalent for this word was 'pemerbadanan'.  This Malay word was very, very, very alien to me.  What was familiar to me was 'perbadanan', not 'pemerbadanan'. And 'diperbadankan', although this would require a new post on why it was an alien word until a few months ago.

I know that this is the result of me not being a "real" bilingual. It seems that my brain decides to pick and choose which word will be stored in Bahasa Melayu, which word will be stored in English, and which word will have its equivalent stored as well. And along the way, my brain also drops a few word from my lexicon or hides them in one of  the highly secured vault that even I could not unlock.

Anyhow, with the word 'pemerbadanan', my brain decided to keep the English equivalent in my lexicon. And only just a few hours ago, it allowed the Bahasa Melayu word to enter my lexicon, albeit with skepticism.

Why skeptism?  Well, I am still figuring out the morphophonemic processes for this word. I am not sure how long my brain will store this word in my lexicon.  I am not surprised if it decides to throw the word out from my lexicon, making me produce a sentence like this:

‘Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM) mengumumkan pembukaan incorporation syarikat dan pendaftaran perniagaan pada tiga tarikh istimewa iaitu 1 November, 11 November dan 20 November.

Nonetheless, I learn something from this incident - I can create a lot of new words for Bahasa Melayu using all the appropriate affixes and hook them to a root or base.  So, don't be surprised if one day this word -pembadanan - suddenly crops up in a sentence like:

'Pembadanan syarikat itu memperlihatkan penterjemahan reka bentuk abstrak dan unik ke bentuk yang konkrit dan fizikal.'

Adoi....hancur...hancur...




No comments:

Post a Comment