Thursday, November 10, 2011

Second new word for this linguist - SASANA

Someone mentioned that the word 'sasana' was used for one of the centers at Bank Negara.  As always, I would resort to my favorite online dictionary for Malay - Pusat Rujukan Persuratan Melayu.  And this was what I got:

Judul
Pengarang
Majalah
Keluaran
Binca dan Sasana
-
Pelita Bahasa
1 November 2001
Islah dan Sasana
Tiada
Pelita Bahasa
1 March 2004

This did not help me.  So, I went to my second favorite - Google Translate.   This too did not help.  Finally, I had to google 'sasana', and the first entry was from my other favorite  - Wikipedia*_*.

"Śāsana (Sanskrit), (Pali: sāsana) is a term used by Buddhists and Shaivites to refer to their religion or non-religion. It has a range of possible translations, including teaching, practice, doctrine and Buddha Śãsana, which means "the teaching of the Buddha" (of which there have been several)." (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9A%C4%81sana


"Sasana is defined as the living spirit of the Buddhist religion,  including the Buddha, the dhamma (Buddha’s teachings), and the sangha (monastic community)."

 I was not sure if 'sasana' and 'sāsana' were the same word which had a variety of spelling. But as I looked at this "sāsana=sasana" from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html, I thought that perhaps both words were actually a word with a variety of spelling - one with diacritic, and one without diacritic.

I tried to find the exact definition given by the Governor of Bank Negara  for 'sasana' - a convening point for the wise and learned’ – in her launching speech.  I could not find one.  I did find this though:

"Sanskrit may have ceased to be spoken by people, but there is a remote village in this coastal district of Orissa where every home has a "pundit" of the ancient language. Orissa Sasana village –home to Sanskrit pundits! Sasana village in the Shyamsundar gram panchayat, which is inhabited mainly by Brahmins, has a little over 32 households with 200-odd members." (source: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5574755-orissas-sasana-village-home-to-sanskrit-pundits)

And from my googling, I tried to make some sense on why the word 'sasana' was used for the name of the center.

Perhaps, 'Sasana Kijang' at  Bank Negara is like "a 'village' of financial 'pundits' where all the wise and learned from the financial world come together for a special purpose and objective - to search and teach the best financial practice".  

No comments:

Post a Comment